Friday, August 7, 2009

A date with Clover and her vision



I'm not really a fan of Clover Moore, a product of living, working and voting in her two constituencies and being on the receiving end of more City of Sydney propaganda via mailbox than really even I care to have...and I love junk mail! But as I'm a firm believer in not bagging out things entirely before you at least give them a go, I conned two others to accompanying me to see our beloved Lord Mayor speak on Sustainability and the Arts at a recent SAMAG (Sydney Arts Management Advisory Group) special event.

Now I must admit I haven't read the whole Sustainable Sydney 2030 policy...it's even a bit long for me...but I did flip through the policy in regards to arts very quickly a few weeks before this rescheduled talk where I found it hidden between all the nice city of villages rhetoric. So, what was I wanting from this experience? Well to be inspired I guess...and the verdict?

  • She admits the policy document is 'a bit cheeky' aka. they don't have the power to enforce it, or budget to make it happen
  • There seemed to be some consultation with arts industry leaders an 'art and design advisory panel' was mentioned as was a 'cultural round table'...note to self, have a look who is on that?
  • Clover spoke about the need to sell the 'intrinsic value of the arts'....if she knows how to do that, there's some of us who would love to here that!
  • She believes the wider community does engagement with the arts when given a chance and sites the large festival events as examples...but as audience members asked...is that sustainable?
  • She commented that the role of the arts is to 'reflect back to us who we are' and that it 'lifts people's spirits', her belief is that arts events should make people feel good about being in the city...
But where does that leave us? Sadly the event didn't really hit the mark by engaging with the arts workers in the room and providing the tools for us to go back to our respective institutions and rally others into this 'cheeky' plan...all in all...I'm sorry Clover I would of rather had one of your pamphlets shoved in the letterbox.

But here's a big thumbs up for SAMAG, the crowd was a smattering of familiar industry faces and even my uni supervisor...I must be onto something!

No comments:

Post a Comment