Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Happy Lamington Day...

So, as it was our National Day and I decided to make lamingtons. Not eating wheat or sugar for a few weeks and feeling like a sweet carb indulgence of course had no effect on my quest to make these sweet coco-nutty cakes at all you understand.

Much to my surprise Matt Moran provided the inspiration and before I knew it, 3 hours of careful baking later and voila! (well a few minutes of mixing, then sponge cooking, then waiting for it to cool for an hour or so, then about 5 minutes of roll it about in chocolatey niceness and fluff about with coconut).

Happy Australia Day!

The interesting part of my adventure was I also had no jam and no icing sugar in the cupboard. So? Well quince paste stepped in nicely for the jam, just a lovely bit of tartness, and in the place of the icing sugar some melted down orchid icing (you know that pre-rolled icing so favoured on iced fruit cakes, that was in cupboard too!), The result...bloody awesome. And can you see my very yellow sponge...how's that for a nice use of organic and biodynamic eggs, Happy Australia Day.

Image: Quince Paste Lamingtons on Wedgwood Jasper Conran 'Chinoiserie' saucer


No comments:

Post a Comment