Saturday, January 2, 2010

On beachcombing


Don't for a minute think that I have finally started on my longed for quest to visit every secret harbour beach in Sydney. No, this pleasure is a lot more er, armchair inclined.

With a midweek evening timeslot ABC1 are never wrong and my new love this week is Monty Halls and his Beachcomber Cottage. In a sentence...man leaves city (man is a marine biologist, yes a real one George Costanza fans!) moves to rugged Scottish coast and takes over a derelict crofter so essentially tries to adapt, ruralise and live off the land...buys boat, tries to fish...has spirited and playful dog...man builds his own composting toilet...looks lonely as the weather changes (think howling wind and flickering candlelight), man runs up hills to keep fit, takes shirt off occasionally. Are you with me now?

This BBC series is well worth a dip into and a perfect follow up after my River Cottage phase. Guilty pleasures abound. Oh dear, a press release I just found online for the series says he is a 'former Royal Marine'. Now that was something missing from the ABC teasers adverts!

No comments:

Post a Comment