Thursday, September 10, 2009

Now, why didn't they have stuff like this when I studied architecture?


It's an architecture kind of week hey? I once took a semester of classes called Australian Art and Heritage. That was an attempt to ensure my art history education wasn't completely made up of a study of paintings by dead Europeans commissioned by dead Europeans depicting rich people, or paid for by rich people but on religious subjects as a means to buy their way into heaven. You with me now? Anyway again I digress. The somewhat lacking in inspiring title of 'Australian Art and Heritage' hid what was to become one of my favorite courses of all time. Why? Well art + social history + a massive dose of architecture of the place I actually lived in. You wanted an example...walk down your street. What is it you see? Design shaped by the place you lived. Add in more hours than I care to remember in the architecture library and a good dose of pouring over old photographs of the beautiful city of Sydney, plus all these heritage planning guidelines and statements of significance (lovely lawyer-type stuff) and I was in heaven and I didn't have to pay a painter to create a work in my honour.

Imagine then, my excitement when I stumbled (er, thanks Tweeters) upon the below today. What is this you ask? Well Heritage Victoria have created an interactive that lets you identify common domestic architecture found in, funnily enough, Victoria. From the news story...
'What House is That?'

Welcome to our virtual neighbourhood! Discover Victoria's housing styles. From the modest to the magnificent, you can travel along a street with nine housing styles on our brand new interactive.

Step inside each house and discover its history and stories, and watch interviews with architects, designers and residents. Find tips on improving your house's sustainability performance.

Then share your stories and pictures of your home on our forum.

It's wonderful...and you'll know your late Victorian from your Queen Anne in no time...and here's no quiz at the end I promise! My only question now of course is why didn't they have stuff like this when I studied architecture?

No comments:

Post a Comment