Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Is crowdsourcing killing the traditional design industry?


I have a burgeoning interest in design...ok I lie...I love design, but now my burgeoning interest is being channeled into thoughts about exhibitions and design and a buzz word that keeps popping up is 'crowdsourcing'. Far from melting down strangers to make into mole (that's sauce for those non french speakers among us), or renta-friends schemes favoured by me in my early uni days (you know make friends with a random German/Brit/Canadian)...crowdsourcing appears to be asking the 'un-professional' to comment, engage, feedback or inform decision-making and creation of design, art etc etc. I've come across it in marketing wankery ('oh we crowdsourced that and X packaging test best'...aka a bad use of market testing or dare I say market research) but perhaps the most burgeoning context has been in relation to museum and gallery exhibitions. Here however we have another view on the explosion of crowdsourcing on design industry and the intermingling of the client/creator relationship. Another hero Angelina Russo takes up the debate....

No comments:

Post a Comment