Monday, October 26, 2009

More refs...that I probably won't use...


Ahhh another Nina Simon treat for you all...well really for me. I think this is getting way off my topic, but interesting! Do you have any participatory experiences that aren't aimed at children or teenagers?
Nina Simon - Over the past year, I've noticed a strange trend in the calls I receive about upcoming participatory museum projects: the majority of them are being planned for teen audiences. A large number of the collaborative projects of which I'm aware (in which staff partner with community members to co-develop exhibits or programs) are initiated with teens. Even the most traditional museums often manage educational programs in which teens develop their own exhibits, produce youth-focused museum events, or provide educational experiences for younger visitors. And while I enjoy working with youth and consuming their creations as a museum visitor, I'd like to call into question the idea that they are or should be the primary audience for participatory experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment