Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Power of Time Off


So as I sit here at a ridiculous time on a Saturday night, oh no make that Sunday morning...I'm thinking about
Stefan Sagmeister. Who you ask? Well....

Every seven years, designer Stefan Sagmeister closes his New York studio for a yearlong sabbatical to rejuvenate and refresh their creative outlook. He explains the often overlooked value of time off and shows the innovative projects inspired by his time in Bali.
Now unfortunately I can't have a year off just now (and lets assume that Stefan is probably much better paid than any of us working in the arts! ) but this is my hope for my upcoming leave. In 4 days I will on leave from my workplace. In 22 days I will finished my Masters of Arts. In 23 days I will be on sabbatical. A short sabbatical of just over two months, but a sabbatical nonetheless.

Why a sabbatical you ask and just not a holiday or leave? Well you see I'm not really planning on going anywhere. A few trips here and there, a couple or days (ok maybe a week or so up the coast to just, you know, decompress) but the journey I hope to take in not one of many places but rather a mind shift, a time to reflect, re-energise and really to ponder. A search for a new muse perhaps?

Either way I think this time will be an internal journey more so than an opportunity to rack up some frequent flyer points. To quote William Hazlitt,

No comments:

Post a Comment